Pound Corner • Wangford • NR34 8RS
… your award winning, independent small animal practice

Travelling to an EU country or Northern Ireland
You can no longer use a pet passport issued in Great Britain (England, Wales and Scotland) for travel to an EU country or Northern Ireland. 

When travelling to an EU country or Northern Ireland, your pet needs:

A microchip, a valid rabies vaccination, an animal health certificate unless you have a pet passport issued in an EU country or Northern Ireland, tapeworm treatment for dogs if you’re travelling directly to Finland, Ireland, Northern Ireland, Norway or Malta.

These requirements also apply to assistance dogs.

Check the rules of the country you’re travelling to for any additional restrictions or requirements before you travel.

Our vets are authorised to facilitate the export and travel of your pet but please remember obtaining a Animal Health Certificate takes time and you should begin the process at least 1 month before you travel. For clients, the cost for the Animal Health Certificate including consult is £163.50 with a cost £58.50 for each addtional animal. The cost for non- clients is £200 with a cost of £100 for each additional animal. 

The information on which countries this pertains to is available from: Gov.UK for the latest information

Please note that your pet will need to be microchipped and vaccinated against rabies and will be subject to re-entry procedures.

For Animal Health Certificates and worldwide exports, we can assist with health checks, blood samples and other requirements. Please note that each country will have its own requirements and you should allow sufficient time for all procedures to be undertaken. 

STEP 1: Your pet should already be micro chipped, if not get it done now.  Before any other pet travel procedure can be carried out your pet must be fitted with a microchip so that it can be properly identified.

STEP 2: Have your pet vaccinated against rabies. There is no exemption from this requirement and rabies boosters must be kept up to date. Once vaccinated your pet must wait 21 days from the date of the vaccination before leaving the UK.

STEP 3: Get the Animal Health Certificate documentation for your pet. The practice will supply this once your pet is vaccinated against rabies. The filling in of the Health Certificate forms, takes some time so when booking your pet in for a rabies vaccination and Health Certificate please inform the receptionist.

STEP 4: Tapeworm treatment (dogs only). All dogs must be treated for tapeworm 24-120 hours (1-5 days) before entering the UK. This treatment must be administered by a vet and certified within your pets official form. There is no longer a mandatory tick treatment however we strongly recommend that you keep your pets tick prevention up to date whilst abroad as many serious exotic and zoonotic diseases are transmitted in this way.

STEP 5: Arrange for your animal to travel with an approved transport company on an authorised route.

STEP 6: Have a lovely holiday with your pet!